My Work

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dear Dolls.....

I want to apologize to you, yes you Barbie and all your friends, The Cabbage Patch kids, My Little Pony and even Hannah Montana.  Like every mother when they have their first daughter, I could not wait to play dress up with my real life baby doll and dreamed about the day when she would starting playing with dolls herself.  I would browse the aisles at Target looking at all the new cool Barbie stuff I never had, or surprised to see what dolls had made a comeback just in time for my own daughter to have.   Oh and let's not forget the Disney Princesses.  I mean I LOVE all things Disney, and my daughter was going to LOVE dressing up in her Princess Dress direct from Disneyland itself.  I mean how could any little girl NOT love that?  So as soon as I could, I started buying all the standards,  You, Cinderella, a Cabbage Patch and so on and so on....Like all toys you held their new appeal for all of 30 seconds (ok maybe 2 weeks).  I mean you are an ICON!  How any girl could lose interest so quickly baffles me. Jamie has an entire toy box full of dolls that have not seen the light of day in probably 5 years.  Yeah, that is about when they went in her new fancy toy box originally when she was 2!!! 

You see by the ripe old age of 5 my daughter was quickly moving on from you and the Disney Princesses,  and any other doll in her collection.  We even took the kids to Disneyland that year and Jamie had NO interest in taking her picture with ANY Princess, if anything she wanted to turn and run away.    So Barbie you and your 30 other Barbie Friends are currently residing in your rubbermaid hotel, along with your clothes, shoes, pools, furniture, car etc.  It makes me sad because I remember Steph and I played with you  LONG after we shouldn't have.  I looked forward to Jamie doing the same thing, having mommy/daughter play dates in her room, spread out on the floor dressing up you and all your friends.  I'm sorry, maybe it was my fault.  I wonder did I push the whole "doll" idea on her way to early.    I mean how early is too early to have a baby doll? 

I'm sorry that she has chosen her stuffed cats and dogs over you and your doll companions.  Or that your movies have been replaced with favorites like Beverly Hills Chihuahua and Santa Paws. Jamie has skipped dolls and went straight to Diva.  I wish I could rewind and make her fall in love with you all over and not Justin Bieber and lip gloss.

2 comments:

erin - mutterings of eringirl said...

HAHA sounds like you need to hang out with Dawn. She was appalled when I said we wouldn't have a doll house! I am with Jamie. I prefer stuffed animals and creatures. Brandon thinks it is cute when little girls wear princess dresses, but other than that, we are not a big doll family...

Lauren said...

oh my goodness... Justin Beiber...
haha! That kid and his hair is nothing but trouble! I'm convinced.

Feel free check out my blog @:
www.howiputthingsoff.blogspot.com