My Work

Thursday, March 3, 2011

In a Brain Fog

Yes it is a real thing, that has been me that last 2 months. Here I thought I was just tired from stress. January and February are the busiest time of the year for the Pealer's. So as the days went by I didn't really think anything of it. Then about a month ago I was having some pain in my wrist that eventually spread to my whole left arm. Pain meds had NO effect at all. Then I started having neuropathy in my hands. Doctor thought maybe I had a pinched nerve in my neck causing me these problems. I sat at work every day just willing myself to make it thru the day. I had no motivation, could not concentrate and was in pain. You know when something is wrong, then you get a little obsessive trying to self diagnose. Web MD is not your friend LOL. My Doctor was great, she ran an extensive blood panel on me, had xray's ordered and even and MRI when Steroids and Vicodin didn't seem to work. Well come to find out I have a an Auto-immune diease called Celiac's Disease. What is Celiac's you ask well this link explains it better than I can.
http://www.celiac.com/articles/572/1/A-Summary-of-Celiac-Disease-and-Gluten-Intolerance-by-Scott-Adams/Page1.html


Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects at least 1 in 133 Americans. Most people experience gastrointestinal symptoms. However my body decided to attack me in my joints, muscles and nerves. Lucky me. There is not a cure and the only way to relieve your symptoms is to eliminate gluten from your diet 100%. Sounds easy right? Well it is and it isn't. I have to read labels on everything I eat unless of course it is fresh meat or produce. Did you know that Soy sauce has gluten? Yea I didn't either. Gluten is hidden in so many things that we use every day. So far I have survived and plan to do everything possible to feel better. I have a great support systems in my family and friends. This is for the rest of my life. I hope that my kids will be spared from having Celiac's as well but there is no guarantee that it won't pop up with them at some point in the future. For now it is one day at a time. If I can get thru a weekend in Las Vegas without gluten that will make me a happy girl.

No comments: