My Work

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Where do I start.....

There is something that I wanted to talk about today and now that I am typing I am having a hard time putting my thoughts into words here. It basically starts off with last week I was told to contact a support group for Celiac's. Now I know support groups can be very helpful to many people for various reasons I just don't know that it is for me. Before I met with my nutritionist I had done some searching on the internet for information regarding Celiac's disease and even found a message board. I had found answers to most of my questions before I had even stepped into the nutritionist office. I felt like I got better answers from people online who are experiencing the same things as me versus someone who has just read about it. People say that the internet has an adverse effect to society and that may be true but there are still plenty positives to be had. I have found more support and even friendships via the internet than I could have ever imagined. I guess I have to thank Sarah for that. She was the first to turn me on to message boards. I was a stay at home mom with not many friends in same boat as me. She turned me on to a mommy message board where I met some amazing women. Eight years later I still am friends with MANY of those same women. We have had coffee dates, play dates, game nights, scrapping nights, you name it and we have done it. I have belonged to message boards for all kinds of interest such as books, movies,music, parenting, scrapbooking, and have been truly inspired. I may not have met them all in person but many have had a lasting impact on me that I will not easily forget. So I guess the internet can be a bad thing when it comes to going out and socializing like a normal human being but it can also can be a truly wonderful gift as well. I have some pretty amazing people in my life because of it.

No comments: